Vaiko slams Karnataka’s renewed push for Mekedatu dam construction

MDMK chief Vaiko has strongly condemned Karnataka’s move to build the Mekedatu dam. He cited remarks by Karnataka DyCM DK Shivakumar and warned that the project violates court orders and would turn Tamil Nadu’s delta districts into a desert.

MDMK General Secretary Vaiko has strongly condemned Karnataka’s renewed attempt to “construct” the Mekedatu dam across the Cauvery River, alleging that it violates the verdicts of the Cauvery Tribunal and the Supreme Court.

In a statement issued on Friday, Vaiko referred to remarks made by Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister DK Shivakumar during a press interaction held on Thursday at Kollegal in Chamarajanagar district of Karnataka.

Add Asianet Newsable as a Preferred Source

Karnataka’s Stance on Mekedatu Dam

According to Vaiko, Shivakumar stated that Karnataka is complying with the Cauvery Water Management Authority’s order to release 177 TMC of water to Tamil Nadu through the Cauvery River. Shivakumar also reportedly said that Tamil Nadu has no right to oppose the construction of the Mekedatu dam and that the Central Water Commission should take a decision on the matter, as directed by the Supreme Court, the release stated

According to Vaiko, Shivakumar further stated that Karnataka had earlier submitted a Detailed Project Report (DPR) for the Mekedatu project, which was returned by the Central Government seeking additional information. He said a revised DPR has now been prepared and would soon be submitted to the Centre. He added that once the Union Government grants approval, the groundwork for the project would begin immediately.

Vaiko Warns of ‘Desertification’

Vaiko claimed that Karnataka is planning to construct the Mekedatu dam at an estimated cost of Rs 9,000 crore with a storage capacity of 67.14 TMC of water, along with a 400 MW hydropower station. He warned that if the project is permitted, the Cauvery delta districts of Tamil Nadu would turn into a desert.

He further claimed that Tamil Nadu has lost 15.87 lakh hectares of cultivable land over the past 48 years, while Karnataka’s irrigated area has increased from 9.96 lakh hectares to 38.25 lakh hectares during the same period.

‘Highly Condemnable’: Vaiko’s Plea

Condemning Karnataka’s stand, Vaiko said the state continues to “deprive” Tamil Nadu of its rightful share of Cauvery water and is once again determined to proceed with the Mekedatu project. He described Shivakumar’s statement that Tamil Nadu has no right to prevent the dam’s construction as highly condemnable.

Vaiko urged that Karnataka should not be allowed to violate the verdicts of the Tribunal and the Supreme Court. He also called upon the Tamil Nadu Government to expedite the pending case in the Supreme Court and firmly safeguard the state’s rights over Cauvery water.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by Asianet Newsable English staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Leave a Comment