JDS leader Nikhil Kumaraswamy alleged major irregularities in the Gruha Lakshmi scheme, claiming Rs 5,000 crore for Feb-Mar instalments hasn’t been released. He questioned CM Siddaramaiah and warned of protests over the missing funds.
Nikhil Kumaraswamy on Friday alleged large-scale irregularities in the implementation of the Karnataka government’s Gruha Lakshmi scheme and questioned the delay in the release of pending instalments to beneficiaries. Addressing a press conference at J P Bhavan in Bengaluru, the JDS leader launched a sharp attack on Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar, demanding answers over the alleged non-release of funds.
Kumaraswamy Questions Rs 5,000 Crore Fund Delay
Speaking on the pending instalments, Nikhil Kumaraswamy said, “For 2024-25, instalments were paid for ten months. The amounts for February and March have not been released. That is nearly Rs 5,000 crore. A provision was shown in the budget. But the money has not been paid. At least tell us when this money will be given. Or if it has been used elsewhere, then show the accounts.”
He further alleged that ministers had failed to clarify the delay in payments. “Ministers have not answered about the two missing months’ payments. This is not something the women of the state or taxpayers will forgive. If you have clarity, you should have answered by now. In the Assembly, they say due to funds not being released on time by the Finance Department, money could not be released to beneficiaries on time,” he said.
The JDS leader claimed that the two instalments for February and March 2025, amounting to Rs 5,000 crore, had not been deposited into beneficiaries’ accounts. “Ministers themselves admitted in the Assembly that the Finance Department did not release this money. Where has this Rs 5,000 crore gone? Was it used for elections or diverted elsewhere? The Chief Minister is directly responsible and must answer,” he added.
Discrepancy in Scheme Implementation
Questioning the implementation of the scheme, Kumaraswamy said that since the launch of the programme, 21 instalments should have been paid, but only 18 instalments had been released. “Since the scheme began, a total of 21 instalments should have been paid. But only 8 instalments were given in 2023-24 and 10 instalments in 2024-25. Minister Lakshmi Hebbalkar lied in the Assembly and concealed two instalment funds. I congratulate MLA Mahesh Tenginkai for exposing this issue. There has been no answer for 5 months to a question asked in the December 2025 session. This is not a document to be hidden in the CM’s office; it must be placed before the people,” he said.
JDS Warns of Agitation
He further stated that women beneficiaries had already filed a PIL in the High Court over the issue and warned of protests by the party. “Women have already filed a PIL writ petition in the High Court regarding this matter, and the court will pull up the government. The JDS will launch a large-scale agitation against this,” Kumaraswamy said.
Core Committee President J K Krishna Reddy, MLCs Javarayi Gowda and T N Sharavana, former MLCs Tippeswamy, Chowda Reddy and H M Ramesh Kumar, Women’s State President Rashmi Ramegowda, and party spokespersons Devaraju, Gangadhar Murthy and Pradeep were also present at the press conference. (ANI)
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by Asianet Newsable English staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)