Govinda warns of Rs 100 crore lawsuit over false reports, AI content

Actor Govinda warned of a Rs 100 crore lawsuit against false reports and AI deepfakes. The notice comes after his wife Sunita Ahuja withdrew her divorce petition. Govinda’s son Yashvardhan is also set for a Bollywood debut.

Actor and former Member of Parliament Govinda has issued a warning against false and unverified reports concerning his personal and family life stating that action will be taken in such cases under relevant sections of law and damages of Rs 100 crore may be sought.

The notice issued after court marriage rumours in sections of social media, cautions people, media organisations, digital platforms and content creators against creating, publishing, uploading, broadcasting or sharing content that is false, defamatory, malicious, fabricated or unverified.

The notice specifically flags the circulation of photographs, videos, audio recordings, morphed images, deepfakes and other synthetic content generated using artificial intelligence.

It states that no permission has been granted to create, manipulate or use Govinda’s voice, photographs, identity, likeness or material relating to his private or family life through AI or other digital technologies.

According to the notice details shared by Govinda’s team, the actor may pursue civil and criminal action under applicable laws concerning defamation, invasion of privacy, misuse of identity and cybercrime.

It refers to legal provisions under the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, 2023, and the Information Technology Act, 2000.

The notice further states that, against individuals allegedly found responsible, Govinda may seek court orders involving action concerning bank accounts, restrictions on the purchase or sale of property, passport seizure and other legal measures.

Action has also been sought against social media platforms and social media accounts accused of deliberately circulating misleading or false content.

Divorce petition withdrawal and reputation concerns

Earlier reports concerning an alleged divorce involving Govinda had also circulated and were subsequently described as false.

The notice also refers to Govinda’s concerns that rumours could be deliberately circulated as part of a planned effort to damage his reputation.

He has stated that such activities are intended to cause him mental and social harm.

The latest warning comes against the backdrop of recent developments concerning Govinda and his wife, Sunita Ahuja.

On August 19, Govinda’s manager Shashi Sinha confirmed that Sunita Ahuja had withdrawn her divorce petition at Mumbai’s Bandra Family Court.

Sinha said the case had been pending for two years. “It has been going on for two years, but it’s finally over now. Today, Sunita Ji submitted a petition for withdrawal at the family court in Bandra,” Sinha told ANI.

Asked about Govinda’s reaction, Sinha said, “Govinda has been neutral since the start of the case. Today, also, he remains the same.”

Sunita Ahuja was spotted at the Bandra Family Court with her son, Yashvardhan Ahuja. When asked about her visit by paparazzi, she said, “Birthday manane aaye hai (I came to celebrate birthday).”

Govinda had earlier shared a video appealing to Sunita to refrain from making statements that, according to him, could affect his reputation, career and standing in the film industry. “When you were doing your own work, whether it was a food show or Lock Upp, you asked Tina (their daughter) to do both the shows. You made me do this. Anyway, that is your right,” he said.

Upcoming family film projects

Govinda also said he had begun work on a film and did not want anything to jeopardise the goodwill he had built with audiences over the years.

Govinda is set to appear in ‘Roopa’ alongside debut actress Rani Swarnakar.

Meanwhile, Govinda’s son Yashvardhan Ahuja is set to make his Bollywood debut in ‘Hero Ki Horrorine’, which is scheduled to release in theatres on January 7, 2027.

The film also stars Sunita Ahuja, Nitanshi Goel, Jamie Lever, Chunky Pandey, Brijendra Kala and Simrat Kaur Randhawa.

Sunita Ahuja has said she will play Yashvardhan’s mother in the film. “Main Yash ke saath picture kar rahi hoon. Main Ektaa Kapoor ko bahut pyaar karti hoon. Unki wajah se maine Netflix ka show kiya, aur main unse bahut pyaar karti hoon. Woh bhi mujhe bahut pyaar karti hain. Yash ki picture mein main uski maa ka hi role kar rahi hoon… Shayad industry mein pehli baar aisa hoga ki maa aur beta ek saath launch ho rahe hain. (I’m working on a film with Yash. I have immense love and respect for Ekta Kapoor. It was because of her that I did a Netflix show, and we share a wonderful bond. In Yash’s film, I’m playing his mother. Perhaps I think it’s the first time in the industry that a mother and son are being launched together),” she shared.

Directed by Sajid Khan, ‘Hero Ki Horrorine’ is produced by Shobha Kapoor, Ektaa R. Kapoor and Amar Butala. More details about the film are awaited. (ANI)

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by Asianetnews Editorial staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Leave a Comment