Delhi HC denies bail to man who chopped up wife, dumped in septic tank

The Delhi High Court denied bail to a man accused of chopping his wife’s body into pieces and dumping them in a septic tank. The court observed it cannot shut its eyes to the gruesome manner in which the crime was committed, despite trial delays.

The Delhi High Court has recently denied bail to a man accused of chopping off his wife’s body into pieces, observing that it cannot shut its eyes of the gruesome manner in which the crime was committed. Accused is in custody since 2019 after he himself went to the police, informing them that he had killed his wife and dumped the body in the septic tank.

Justice Girish Kathpalia on August 20 refused to grant bail to accused Ashu Pal considering the manner in which the alleged offence was committed. The accused had sought regular bail on the ground of delay.

Court’s Observation

Justice Kathpalia said, “Of course, delay in trial is a ground for grant of bail. But that is not the only ground. While considering grant or denial of bail, the court cannot shut its eyes to the gruesome manner in which a lady was killed, followed by chopping off of her body and throwing her in the septic tank.”

“Considering the above circumstances, I do not find it a fit case to grant bail to the accused/applicant. Therefore, the bail application is dismissed. Accompanying application also stands dismissed,” Justice Kathpalia ordered on August 20.

Details of the Alleged Crime

It is alleged that on February 2, 2019, the accused went to the police station and stated that he had killed his wife and had chopped off her body into pieces and thereafter dumped those pieces of the dead body in a septic tank. While he was being interrogated in the police station, a PCR call was received from the brother of the deceased stating that she had been killed and her body was recovered from the septic tank. On the basis of the statement of the brother of the deceased, the FIR was registered.

Arguments Presented in Court

Advocate Raghav Sharma, counsel for the accused, contended that there are vital contradictions in the testimony of the mother and brother of the deceased. While rejecting the contention, the bench said that while considering the bail application, the court shall not carry out minute analysis of the evidence on record.

It was also submitted that the accused never visited the police station to confess, as wrongly projected by the investigating agency. The High Court said that in the previous bail orders, no such contention on behalf of the accused was recorded.

While opposing the bail plea, the Additional Public Prosecutor (APP) argued that the trial is not at all slow in pace and the allegations against the accused disentitle him of bail.

It was also submitted that the blood-stained weapon allegedly used in chopping off the dead body of the deceased and her clothes, jewellery, etc. was also recovered and was examined forensically.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by Asianetnews Editorial staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Leave a Comment