Assam Minister assures transporters of safety amid Meghalaya blockade

Assam Minister Atul Bora met transport unions, assuring them that talks with Meghalaya are ongoing to end a road blockade. This follows violent protests in Shillong where Assam-registered vehicles were attacked, raising safety concerns.

Assam Minister Atul Bora on Sunday held a meeting with representatives of 14 transport associations and assured them that senior officials of both Assam and Meghalaya Governments are in constant touch, and hopeful that the blockade will be withdrawn soon amid concerns over the safety of drivers, passengers and vehicles.

Violence in Shillong Sparks Tensions

Several vehicles, including a few Assam-registered vehicles, were damaged by some protesters in Shillong on August 19 during a black flag bike rally organised by Khasi Students’ Union, which turned violent with reports of stone pelting, attacks on vehicles, and arson at different parts of Shillong.

Minister Addresses Transporters’ Safety Concerns

Bora attended a meeting in Guwahati with representatives of 14 transport associations on the direction of Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma. Guwahati Commissioner of Police Dr Partha Sarathi Mahanta, Commissioner of Transport Manvendra Pratap Singh and Kamrup (M) DTO Himangshu Das were also present.

In a post on X, “Guwahati Commissioner of Police Dr. Partha Sarathi Mahanta, Commissioner of Transport Shri Manvendra Pratap Singh and Kamrup (M) DTO Shri Himangshu Das were also present”, he said. As per the direction of Hon’ble CM Dr. @himantabiswa, I attended a meeting in Guwahati with representatives of 14 transport associations. Guwahati Commissioner of Police Dr. Partha Sarathi Mahanta, Commissioner of Transport Shri Manvendra Pratap Singh and Kamrup (M) DTO Shri… pic.twitter.com/KZj8BlzMyq — Atul Bora (@ATULBORA2) August 23, 2026

During the meeting, representatives of the transport associations raised concerns over the safety of vehicles, drivers and passengers travelling through Meghalaya.

“The representatives raised concerns regarding the safety of vehicles, drivers and passengers following the unfortunate incident in Shillong on August 19, as well as the continuing road blockade by protesters in Meghalaya. I apprised them of the significant decisions taken during yesterday’s meeting between the Governments of Assam and Meghalaya. Strong measures will be undertaken to ensure the smooth movement of vehicles and restore normalcy,” he said.

“I have already spoken with Hon’ble Meghalaya CM Shri @SangmaConrad and Deputy CM Shri S. Dhar regarding the road blockade. Senior officials of both Governments are also in constant touch, and we are hopeful that the blockade will be withdrawn soon. Hon’ble CM Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma is closely monitoring the situation”, he said.

“Assam and Meghalaya are sister States bound by longstanding ties of harmony and brotherhood. I appeal to all people and stakeholders to maintain peace, restraint and our spirit of brotherhood in the greater interest of the region”, he said.

Assam, Meghalaya Governments Hold Joint Meeting

Earlier on August 22, Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma welcomed the outcome of the joint Assam-Meghalaya meeting held in Guwahati following the August 19 incident in Shillong, saying the concerns and sentiments of the people of Assam had been duly acknowledged and addressed.

“I welcome the outcome of the meeting. The concerns and sentiments of the people of Assam have been duly acknowledged and addressed,” he said.

He said the constitution of a Special Investigation Team (SIT) by the Meghalaya government, along with the arrest of those responsible, were steps in the right direction.

Sarma also welcomed the commitments made for the safety and unhindered movement of people and vehicles from Assam.

The Governments of Meghalaya and Assam held a joint meeting at Koinadhara State Guest House on Saturday to deliberate on developments following the incident in Shillong on August 19, with both states agreeing on measures to ensure the safety of people, tourists and vehicles travelling between the two states.

The meeting was led by Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister S Dhar and Assam Minister Atul Bora and was attended by senior officers of both state governments. The discussions lasted for more than three hours.

The Meghalaya government expressed regret over the August 19 incident and assured the meeting that strong action would be taken against those involved. (ANI)

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by Asianetnews Editorial staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Leave a Comment