Asummer of change off the pitch for Aston Villa was followed by one of the worst opening 45 minutes of a season in Premier League history as Unai Emery’s side collapsed at Brighton and went into half-time 4-0 down
Last season’s Europa League winners went into the new campaign having lost four of the players that started their 3-0 win over Freiburg in May. Morgan Rogers, Youri Tielemans, Lucas Digne and Ezri Konsa’s exits could also soon be followed by two more first-team stars in Ollie Watkins and Emi Martinez, who were .
A new-look Villa went behind inside eight minutes in calamitous fashion as Victor Lindelof bundled into his own net before Brighton’s Maxim De Cuyper doubled their advantage. Jack Hinshelwood then scored twice in two minutes before Villa’s Joao Gomes, a £38m signing from Wolves, was sent off on his first Premier League appearance for his new club.

Hinshelwood’s first goal was followed by another straight from kick-off. Gomes was caught in possession on the edge of his own box before Hinshelwood finished into an empty net for his second – just 80 seconds after his first.
It then went from bad to worse for debutant Gomes, who was earlier booked for waving an imaginary yellow card towards Pascal Gross, as he received a straight red card for kicking out at Georginio Rutter.
According to Opta, Gomes became just the second Premier League player to be sent off in the first half of his first appearance for club, after QPR’s Samba Diakite in 2012, while Brighton became just the third team to lead by four goals at half-time on the opening weekend in Premier League history.
There were empty seats in the Villa away end before half-time amid a hugely uncertain period for the Europa League winners, although the fans who remained continued to chant Emery’s name.
Brighton did not add any more goals in the second half, although Fabian Hurzeler did take the opportunity to rest some players ahead of Thursday’s Conference League play-off second leg against Tromso.


Villa have recouped huge fees for their departing stars, receiving a record £117m for Rogers from Chelsea, £51m for England defender Konsa and £35m for Tielemans, but the uncertainty off the field is undoubtedly a concern.
Villa have broken their transfer record to sign Johan Manzambi, who was unavailable due to injury, while appears to be the replacement for Martinez but was only ready to be named on the bench.
Alejandro Garnacho and Aaron Wan-Bissaka have arrived on loan and Matteo Ruggeri has been signed as Emery attempts to rebuild his side. They have also been linked with a move for Chelsea striker Nicolas Jackson.
“I’m very excited, I think we have had an intelligent market,” Emery said on Friday. “We know where we are and we know what we want to do again for the next year. This is the priority and this is the motivation I have.”
Villa striker Watkins is wanted by Saudi Pro League club Al-Hilal, and will only heighten speculation that the England international is set to join the exodus.
Manager Emery provided a bizarre response when asked if this omission signalled the end for Watkins’ time at Villa, taking a lengthy pause before replying: “Silence.” Emery previously said in a press conference that he wants to keep Watkins but has already for the 30-year-old.
Next up for Villa is a home match against Premier League champions Arsenal on Monday.