Tehran: A day after Donald Trump claimed that 32,000 people were killed during the recent unrest in Iran, the latter on Sunday asked the US President to share the proof regarding the same. Tehran also said it already submitted the official figures of casualties.
On Friday, President Trump said that the people of Iran are a lot different from their leadership and called it a “very, very sad situation.” He also added that 32,000 people were killed in Iran in a very shot period.
Iran already fulfilled its pledge: Abbas Araqchi
Talking to X, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said his country already fulfilled its “pledge of full transparency” by publishing a list documenting 3,117 victims. He added, “if anyone disputes the accuracy of our data, please share any evidence.” Trump had earlier said that he was “considering” a limited military strike to put pressure on Iran to join the dead. He had not provided any further details.
On Thursday, Trump had threatened that ‘a bad thing would happen’ if Tehran did not join the deal and gave the ultimatum of 10 days. Before issuing the warning, Trump held a meeting with several senior officials of his government amid an increase in tensions between the two countries.
Increase in Iran-US tensions
There were also reports that the US has started sending its warships, including USS Abraham Lincoln, fighter planes, and military personnel in the Arabian Sea as tensions escalated. In recent times, the threat of war loomed between the two countries after protests started in Iran over a surge in inflation. Following the protests, Trump put his weight behind the protesters and threatened tough action if anything happened to the protesters. Iran hit back by claiming that US and Israel were behind these protests.
On Thursday, Iran held annual military drills with Russia even as a second American aircraft carrier reached the Middle East. Both the United States and Iran have already signalled they are prepared for war.