It’s been a few months since Inde Navarrette transformed from a familiar face on television to one of Hollywood’s most talked-about young actresses. The 25-year-old, best known for Superman & Lois and 13 Reasons Why, has seen her profile explode following the success of the horror film Obsession. Now, she’s signed up for Marvel’s X-Men film and is supposedly being courted for major roles opposite some of the biggest stars in the business. Navarrette is quickly becoming one of the industry’s most sought-after young talents, with Oscar buzz surrounding her performance in Obsession and whispers of lucrative offers coming her way.
From TV roles to Hollywood’s new ‘it’ girl
Before Obsession, Navarrette was mainly recognised for her television work. She is known for her role as Sarah Cushing in Superman & Lois and her regular role in Netflix’s 13 Reasons Why. Her break came in Obsession, directed by Curry Barker. The horror flick, released on May 15, was a huge box-office success, despite its small budget.
stars as Nikki Freeman, a role that has earned her a lot of attention and even some early buzz for awards season.
Inde Navarrette rejects Heat 2
Navarrette’s biggest break in her career was being announced as part of the cast for Marvel’s upcoming X-Men movie. She will play Rogue, and the film will also star Adam Driver and Sadie Sink. Infact, her other career choices have seemed influenced by the Marvel commitment.
According to Page Six, Navarrette was earlier in the running for a part in Michael Mann’s Heat 2 speculated to also star Hollywood icons Leonardo DiCaprio and Christian Bale. She was allegedly in the running for the role of Sharlene, a part originated by Ashley Judd in the 1995 crime classic Heat. But her commitment to X-Men means she’s no longer in the running for the role.
She joins Marvel’s X-Men roster
The report cited a producer claiming that Navarrette was currently “on everyone’s short list,” noting that the actress is regularly turning down mid-seven-figure lucrative offers. Hence, the projects which Navarrette has reportedly rejected also speak to her rising demand.
She reportedly turned down a role in a horror movie by Matthias Hoene that would have paid her around $2.5 million. Her decision to sign on with over Heat 2 could be huge for her career, giving her the visibility that comes with being part of one of Hollywood’s biggest franchises.
Obsession gets Oscar buzz
Her casting in Marvel has certainly raised her profile in the mainstream but Obsession could be the project that puts Navarrette into the awards conversation. The horror flick was reportedly made on a budget of just $750,000, but went on to gross almost $500 million worldwide, making it an extraordinary financial success.
Navarrette was reportedly paid about $20,000 for the project, so the movie’s success has dramatically increased the value of her future roles. Focus Features is said to be mulling an awards campaign for her performance, potentially tossing the young actress into the Oscar conversation.
Navarrette is no one-movie wonder
Navarrette has previously said he wanted to prove that the success of Obsession was not a one-off. According to her, she wants to explore different genres and take some chances with her career, rather than become known for one breakout role.