Actor-filmmaker Farhan Akhtar has reportedly approached the Federation of Western India Cine Employees (FWICE) with a complaint against actor Ranveer Singh over his alleged exit from Don 3. The Dhurandhar star has signed as the lead in the film, however, the film is currently on hold due to a reported dispute him and the makers.
The film body is now set to hold a press conference on May 25 to officially announce its decision after reviewing the matter.
In an official statement, FWICE announced that it will address the complaint filed by Akhtar against Singh concerning his alleged withdrawal from the film during the scheduled press conference.
The federation further said that the complaint had been received through its affiliated association, the Indian Film and Television Directors’ Association (IFTDA), of which Akhtar is a member.
The film body added that it would communicate its stand after examining the complaint and related circumstances.
WHAT LED TO THE DON 3 CONTROVERSY?
Speculation around Don 3 intensified after reports surfaced claiming that from the project. While there has been no official statement from the actor, industry buzz suggested that creative differences over the script and the film’s direction may have contributed to the situation.
Various reports also suggested that Akhtar had recently considered replacing Singh. However, the success of Dhurandhar changed those plans. Later, it was reported that Singh began reassessing his film choices to align with his newfound success.
Reports also claimed that Excel Entertainment was considering seeking compensation of around Rs 40 crore, citing investments already made in pre-production and disruptions caused to scheduling plans. Singh had reportedly agreed to compensate for the said amount.
According to reports, the production house believed the project had advanced with the actor’s approval.
As continued to grow, there were also talks of the Producers Guild of India stepping in to mediate the issue.
Adding to the speculation, rumours linked Aamir Khan to behind-the-scenes discussions aimed at resolving the dispute, though the actor later denied any involvement.
Amid uncertainty over the future of the franchise, reports have also hinted at possible recasting options, with some rumours even suggesting that Akhtar himself could return to the iconic role.
In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter India, the 54-year-old actor described the situation as a challenging moment that he is taking in his stride.
When asked about what he had learnt from the Don 3 controversy, Akhtar said he has learnt to expect the unexpected and not take anything for granted until it is finally on film.