Tehran: Amid Middle-East tensions, the United States (US) has reportedly agreed to temporarily waive off oil sanctions on Iran during ongoing negotiations, as part of a new peace proposal. In recent times, both the US and Iran have exchanged several proposals or peace processes between the two countries.
According to Iran’s Tasnim News Agency, the latest proposal by the US included a temporary waiver of sanctions on Iran’s oil sector, among others. Iran, on the other hand, has reportedly demanded the removal of all sanctions as part of its commitments.
Iran sends response to US’ latest proposals
In the meantime, Iran sent its response to the US’ new proposal through Pakistan. Reacting to the development, foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said, “As we announced yesterday, our concerns were conveyed to the American side.”
Iran’s Fars news agency has said that the US presented a five-point list. Among the proposals included Iran keeping only one nuclear site in operation and transferring its stockpile of uranium to Washington. It added that Washington, however, decided not to release “even 25%” of Iran’s frozen assets.
Earlier on Sunday, US President Donald Trump warned Iran to move closer to an agreement as talks between US and Iran continued to remain stalled over key issues. “For Iran, the Clock is ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!” Trump wrote on Truth Social.
Ceasefire currently in place between the two countries
The President’s remarks had come just after several media outlets in Iran reported US’ conditions for talks. In recent times, the ceasefire has been in place days of war following the US and Israel’s joint airstrikes on Iran. Both sides even had one round of peace talks in Pakistan, which failed to yield any result. Since then, both sides have repeatedly shared various proposals for peace talks.