Chirag Paswan: Congress uses protests to divert from key issues

Union Minister Chirag Paswan accused the Congress of using protests and political issues to divert public attention from matters affecting national sentiment, calling it the party’s ‘mindset and modus operandi’ amid a row over a protest injury case.

Union Minister Chirag Paswan on Saturday accused the Congress of using protests and political issues to divert public attention from matters that, he said, affect the sentiments of a large section of the country, asserting that this has been the opposition party’s “mindset and modus operandi”.

Speaking to the media, Paswan said the Constitution guarantees citizens the right to protest in a democracy, but alleged that the right was being used for political diversion.

“The Constitution grants you the right to stage protests in a democracy. However, it is a different matter when you use an issue merely to divert attention from other pressing matters,” Paswan said.

Cites ‘Vande Mataram’ Issue as Diversion

His remarks came amid a political row over the Congress-led protests and the registration of an FIR in the alleged pellet gun injury case involving Sahil Lochav during a July 20 student protest. Paswan also accused the Congress leadership of bringing up the issue of ‘Vande Mataram’ to divert attention from other matters.

“Consider how the top leadership of the Congress party is currently facing scrutiny regarding the issue of ‘Vande Mataram’–the very issue over which they previously disrupted parliamentary proceedings and caused the entire Monsoon Session to be a washout,” he said. “Yet, after a long gap, they have suddenly recalled that same issue and are using it as a pretext to divert attention from matters that truly affect the sentiments of a vast section of the country’s population,” Paswan added.

“This has been the Congress party’s mindset and modus operandi. They actively work to divert attention away from those critical topics,” he said.

FIR Lodged After Rahul Gandhi’s Protest

Meanwhile, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha and Congress MP Rahul Gandhi said that an FIR had finally been registered in the alleged pellet gun injury case involving Lochab.

In a post on X, Rahul Gandhi said, “Sahil’s FIR has finally been registered. But the way it happened, you must see this.” The FIR was registered by Delhi Police after Rahul Gandhi staged an around eight-hour-long sit-in at the Parliament Street police station, demanding action on Lochab’s complaint.

Lochab had alleged that he suffered injuries after pellet gun firing in the Connaught Place area on July 20 and claimed that he underwent surgery at AIIMS but continued to suffer vision impairment.

Rahul Gandhi had earlier cited an AIIMS report, claiming that it showed more than 200 pellet shells inside Lochab’s body and three shells in his eye. The FIR has been registered under Sections 118 and 125 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS).

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by Asianet Newsable English staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Leave a Comment