World No. 1 Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the US Open with a persistent right knee injury, dramatically altering the complexion of the final Grand Slam of the season and leaving Carlos Alcaraz as the highest-ranked player in the men’s draw.
Sinner confirmed his withdrawal on Friday, just a day after Alcaraz announced that he would return to competitive tennis at Flushing Meadows following more than four months on the sidelines with a right wrist injury.
“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the U.S. Open this year,” Sinner said in a statement posted on X.
“We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue.”
The Italian, who won his fifth Grand Slam title at Wimbledon last month, has not played since suffering the knee problem earlier this month. He also missed the Canadian Open and Cincinnati Open, both important hard-court events in the build-up to the US Open.
The tournament begins on August 23 and runs until September 13.
Carlos Alcaraz becomes the highest-ranked player in the draw
Sinner’s withdrawal comes at a significant moment for Alcaraz.
The Spaniard, ranked No. 2 in the world, confirmed on Thursday that he would return at the US Open after an extended absence caused by a right wrist injury. He skipped Cincinnati as he continues to build towards his return.
Alcaraz is also the defending champion at Flushing Meadows, having beaten Sinner in last year’s final.
His return had already been one of the major storylines heading into the tournament. Sinner’s absence now gives the Spaniard a potentially clearer route to another Grand Slam title, although questions remain over how he will cope with the demands of best-of-five-set tennis after such a lengthy lay-off.
Former British player Greg Rusedski had expressed doubts over Alcaraz’s decision to return directly at a Grand Slam, particularly given the physical demands of the format.
“I think it’s a huge risk. I would be very surprised if he plays in the singles,” Rusedski said on *Off Court with Greg*.
Alcaraz, however, has made his intentions clear and will attempt to resume his season in New York.
Jannik Sinner’s season takes another turn
Sinner’s withdrawal is another setback in what has otherwise been a hugely successful season.
The Italian won his second Wimbledon title last month, adding another major trophy to his collection. His season has also included a semi-final appearance at the Australian Open and a surprise second-round exit at the French Open.
His decision to skip the US Open means the final Grand Slam of the year will be without one of its biggest contenders.
It also leaves Alcaraz as the highest-ranked player in the field and potentially the player to beat, despite his own fitness concerns.
Draper also withdraws
Sinner was not the only notable name to withdraw from the tournament.
Britain’s Jack Draper also pulled out of the US Open, with the Lawn Tennis Association confirming his absence on Friday. The nature of his injury was not disclosed, although reports have linked his withdrawal to a long-standing problem with his left arm.
Draper reached a career-high ranking of No. 4 in 2025 but has endured an injury-hit period since then. He is currently ranked 143rd and suffered early exits in Montreal and Cincinnati.
His best Grand Slam run came at the 2024 US Open, when he reached the semi-finals.
With Sinner now out and Alcaraz returning from a lengthy injury absence, the men’s US Open draw has been reshaped considerably before a ball is struck. The defending champion now has a major opportunity in front of him, but his own fitness and ability to handle the demands of a Grand Slam comeback will be central to his title defence.